Thursday, April 17, 2014

Even Batman Wore Eyeliner


A movement began and ended just as quickly.

You've likely participated, or in the very least have seen others' post on social media and there were stories in the news – it was the #NoMakeupSelfie movement.
The concept was simple, women nominated one another to post a selfie sans makeup. The idea is to encourage women love their bare faces by revealing it on social media, a frightening yet ballsy exposure of a woman's imperfections, if any.

I figured I had struck gold, post after post my nomination was never mentioned; however, my fear was one day realized as I received the nomination that I had been dreading since the movement began.

I was trapped – if I didn't play, I’d be known as THAT girl – she must be hiding something.
I AM hiding, my dark under-eye circles, large pores, a few wrinkles - nothing over dramatic except for the substantial zit that nestled on my chin just a couple days before.

Of course I want to hide it - no one, include me, wants to see a red shiny zit.

But it's not just about the zit.
The one thing that will typically get me up in the morning, besides coffee, is a freshly made-up face. Perfection, before the day destroys it. It gives me the confidence that I need to tread through the day; from meeting to meeting, boardroom to event, office to grocery store.
 
Super heroes cannot successfully fight crime without their disguise, why should humans be any different?
Batman wears eye makeup to hide his real identity, women use it to enhance theirs.
During a typical day, we drive our kids to school, work an entire eight hours – with some days are busier than others – pick the kids up, make dinner, help with homework, finish the ever growing stack of dirty dishes, get the kids ready for bed, continue with household chores – or in my case, more work AND chores – before settling in for the night and doing it all over again the next day.

Some women fulfill multiple roles too.

I wash it off at night, replenishing my makeup clogged pores, readying it for a whole new application the next morning. Sure, it feels good to take it off, but if I'm venturing out further than the corner convenience store, I'm going to apply more than just a lip balm.
I don't wear makeup because I want to hide, or change something about myself - I wear makeup because it makes me feel prettier and more confident.

I do it all, the modern day superhero, and I say if Batman can wear eyeliner - then he won't mind if I do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment