Friday, March 07, 2014

Bachelorette Survival Guide - Single but Not Available

There's a common misconception in Bachelorville - that if you are single, it automatically means that you are available. I don't know who started that rumor, but I am here to put it to rest.

As a single woman, I'll occasionally come across random date requests, through social media or elsewhere, including probing questions to determine my availability. Yes I am single, no I am not available. I don't mean it as harshly as it may sound.

After reading James Sama's 8 Reasons It's Ok to be Single blog, it occurred to me that I am consciously monopolizing my fate.  And it is for good reason. I refuse to settle for a relationship that may be forced in order to be socially accepted and not frowned upon for living the life that I choose to live at this time.

Being single doesn't mean that I am not happy, nor does it mean that I don't feel completely whole as a human being. I'm certain that I have said this before, but I will say it again, I don't need a significant other to feel significant.

Assumed Marital Status
 
The idea for this post came to me shortly after an interaction with a Macs Convenience Store clerk; he candidly asked me a probing question about my fictitious husband - I have a complete disregard for his intentions, since it serves of no importance to me. I laughed and complied with inquiry; however, I wanted to say, If was married, I wouldn't be buying Tostitos and cheese sauce for dinner.

Online Availability

Since I am being honest, I'll admit that I have tried online dating once or twice.... OK three times, many years ago. The last occurrence was the straw that broke the camel's back. I concluded that I will not find my future husband sitting at a computer sifting through endless dating profiles and pictures while attempting to weed out the douche bags from the nice guys - if that's even possible.
I don't frown on online dating, but it's not for everyone. Meaning me.


Social-ability

I never considered meeting men through social networks; rather, it is a personality assessment tool. You can judge a person's personality by their ability to socialize through various networks. You can typically tell whether someone has a sense of humor, or if they are uptight, by the types of posts that they write.

I do not accept date requests through any social media network. I'm not shunning others that may have attempted it time and again, but I know that it's just not for me.

I don't write about my single life to attempt to recruit dates or inadvertently ask for sympathy, rather, I write these posts because I found a way to relate to an audience and speak to them about something that I am experiencing at this time.

I'd like to hear your feedback on this series, drop me a line.

1 comment:

  1. If you are content being single and don't need a man, then why do you constantly blog about it? You come off as being extremely insecure with the perception you're constantly being judged. I feel you are being dishonest with your readers, but more importantly, yourself. You need to figure out what exactly it is you want, and embrace it. You can't have it both ways.

    ReplyDelete