Friday, December 13, 2013

Holiday Shopping, PR Style



I’m not the typical holiday gift giver. Much like my own personal shopping, I like being creative in my gift giving. However, unique gift buying means exploring the unconventional stores; unlike the mall, it may take a little more time and effort to buy gifts for EVERYONE on your list.

So, how do I do it?

Rather than ask people what they WANT for Christmas, I am mindful of lifestyle, personal style, and interests – I do my research throughout the year. I dislike the ‘trinkets’ since they serve no real purpose, and they usually end up collecting dust anyway.

It’s not about who is harder to shop for, but how creative you can be with your gifts.

Write a list

I don’t mean writing down specifically what you are shopping for; rather, I suggest writing a list of interests for every individual on your list. Items may change, but personal interests are usually a sure thing. This means you’ll have to do your research, not online, but get to know your family’s interests (I know… it sounds exhausting)

Scope out your retailers

I typically enjoy online shopping, but I’m a procrastinator so I rarely start my shopping until mid-December – not to mention that I have maxed out my credit card (oops). Instead, I have to brave the crowds and the traffic to get there.

Use social media to your advantage

Pinterest is a goldmine for gift giving ideas. The beauty of this platform is that it allows you to see what your gift recipient really likes, because they chose it themselves. BONUS! By clicking on the link, you know exactly where you can get it.

Of course, if you’re shopping for your folks, who may not have access to the genial platform – YOU MAY ACTUALLY HAVE TO TALK TO THEM.

Ask the right questions

When conducting an interview, to get the information that you want from different angles, you may have to ask open-ended questions. 

Or, you can get straight to the point

But what's the fun in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment