Sunday, July 07, 2013

Slow down and smell the books

Another weekend has come and gone, the dreadful start of the week is upon us and we have vivid flashbacks of blissful times, even if it was that of sleeping-in and doing nothing at all.  

I truly do thrive under pressure and I am more productive when I'm busy... as are most people. But this week, I have taken the time to reconnect with myself and mentally prepare for my new challenge. Changes are inevitable in my life, and I never truly prepare for them... EVER!
I suppose this is the reason why I can adapt quickly to such changes.

This past week, I have had the privilege to spend some much needed time with my son. I care for him full time, but as a single parent... it's not about the quantity of time I have but more about the quality of time I spend with my boy.
In the last year, we have gone through numerous changes, including a new school for him and a new job for me... we haven't had the time to slow down to enjoy one-another since the chaos began.

It was important to me to reconnect, not only with myself but with my son too. After all, he is going to be nine this year and it seems like life is flashing before my eyes. I have decided to put my work on hold, freelance and everything else, and concentrate on being MOM.
What did we do?

Like most children, my son enjoys big and bright fireworks, so the Canada Day Celebration at The Forks was the place to be. He enjoyed a snow cone, I got a wet a$$ from sitting on the ground.

Purple Tongue
Tuesday - The monster wanted blue hair... I thought: "Oh Gosh, and so it starts" All parties agreed to allow this change of hair color; it is temporary and can be removed at any time and it's a form of expression; however, we draw the line at self mutilation. When the monster mentioned he wanted his ears pierced, that's where we had to draw the line.

No piercings or tattoos until he's 18, that's the rule!
 
The transition went fairly well. However, the color didn't turn out the way we wanted it to... it was an enjoyable experience regardless.

Processing. The color really brings out his eyes.

Not bad for an amateur stylist.
Wednesday was beach day... I helped build a sand tunnel  for water flow from the lake to surround a sand castle; I also enjoyed a book, in the sun, which is not something I get to do often.


Thursday was movie day; Friday was a night at the cabin where the monster caught the first fish; and Saturday evening was movie and cuddles at home.

The view of the cabin.
This week, I learned to slow down, read a book, and enjoy the little moments. At the end of the day, it's not about what the pages say, but how they feel, smell, and sound when they turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment