Monday, March 18, 2013

I want it now

I've never been a patient person. I never knew about delayed gratification or that it even existed until just a few years ago. Knowing delayed gratification doesn't make it any easier though. Awareness is one thing, but practicing it every day is another.

I'm the independent type, always have been and I don't think that will ever change. Rather, I have to learn to be more interdependent. Nevertheless, if I want something, I get it. If I didn't have the money for it, I would do one of two things; charge it, or find another item that was equally as desirable but at a much lower rate.
Just over 2 years ago, I wanted a new car. Not just any car, I wanted an SUV; something more spacious than a compact vehicle, all wheel drive, and Bluetooth of course. But when my financial advisor gave me an affordable budget, the vehicle that I was desiring slipped through my fingers.

Instead, I focused on the features that I wanted in the small compact vehicle. But I bought a new car, which was equally as exciting.

I buy shoes and clothes like nobody's business. I wanted a new bed... BAM, I got a new bed.
What I haven't been able to successfully practice is delay gratification. If you're new to the term, I'll explain. It is a reward that you pay yourself after achieving a desired goal. Be it fitness, financial, or career related; a goal is a goal, is a goal!

The idea is to set a long term goal with a larger reward in the end, after achieving that goal. But what about the smaller goals? Is it a good idea to practice with small goals and small rewards, or is that just torture?
When I was in school, I just wanted to be done. When I go on a trip, I just want to be there, instantly. Delayed gratification is not just about the end reward, but the journey along the way. The journey can be just as enjoyable as its end result.

Of course, I don't mean that for every goal we set to achieve. Some are painful, but in the end they are the most rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment