Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stress isn't good for my waistline

I read an article that said that the public relations profession was one of the top ten most stressful jobs in the world. At the time, I was just a student and completely unaware of exactly what that meant.

Reading an article about the level of stress the field you'll be working in is like telling a expectant mother that child birth isn't THAT painful. Come on... it feels like you're dying ; not that I know what dying feels like, I'm just speculating. So I thought I'd set the record straight.

STRESS IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

 
I drink coffee until bedtime, it doesn't give my body energy but my brain seems to function better. I eat popcorn for dinner sometimes, because let's face it... PR work doesn't end at 6pm, I barely have time to pop the darn corn let alone make a full meal.  

During high stress times I eat candy, not carrots. I sit on the couch and stare at a blank wall, I don't put in an hour on the treadmill. And drinking alcohol IS a cure, at least temporarily.

You can't anticipate stress or childbirth pain, among other things. As much as I enjoy reading these types of articles, I've learned never to take these types of things for what they are until I experience them for myself.
Wouldn't it be nice if a wave of emotion would have come with this article, at least then I would have been better prepared. But like everything else in life; until we are in the situation, we don't know how we're going to adapt to it.


All that said, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job. That may be why I work so hard and have so much ambition. I'll eventually learn a balance, to eat well and exercise more, but in the meantime I am going to drink my coffee and enjoy it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment