Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Creative Networking

When I started my career, I understood the importance of establishing myself in the public relations industry by networking with like-minded individuals who have similar goals. The more people who know who you are and what you do, the more connections in the industry you establish which may help you in your future goals.
As I keep going along this wonderful career of mine, I realize that not only is it important to networking in the industry but so is expanding my networking circle. It has been brought to my attention that I may have been limiting my resources and networking circle. I needed to expand my reach into other industries.
I've had to take a more creative approach to my networking.
I never let an opportunity to talk to someone pass me by, wherever I am, I can talk to anyone. You don't know that person and who they know. So talk, what's he worse that could happen?
Expand beyond the public relations and communications associations, get involved with professionals that don't have the same knowledge in your industry like you do. This will allow you to expand your network and make connections for freelance work, if that's one of your goals.
Lay out your objectives. What do you want to accomplish, short and long term. Create a plan to execute this and then start your research. I know I have discussed this strategy in previous posts but it cannot be talked about enough. Goals are what drive us to accomplish great things. When you write down your goals, even tell people about them, you hold yourself accountable to achieving these goals.
You owe yourself this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment