Saturday, September 01, 2012

Has society created attention deficit?



With the rise of social media as well as new tablets and iPods coming out every other week, we've gotten accustomed to quickly changing technology. This leads me to believe that the evolution of technology has contributed to my short attention span.

The PR industry is no exception. It seems like everyone I meet have only held a position for five years, on average, before moving on to another company. I wonder, does this industry attract those with this type of personality, or are these personalities created by the industry?
In order to get the facts, I would have to do some extensive research by interviewing people, conducting personality tests, and viewing past behaviour and then compare them, this would take weeks or months. Let's be honest, I don't have that kind of time.

As a child, we had no shortage of imagination, we rode our bikes, created 'clubs', and played house among other activities. The only video games we had was the original Nintendo, which was played at a friend's house because not every family had it. Getting into the 21st century, children don't have imaginations, it's all thought up for them already.
I am thankful I grew up in the time that I did. It's been said that people don't change, we become more of who we truly are in time. If that's the case, then society hasn't created my attention deficit, I already had it.

No comments:

Post a Comment