Monday, February 18, 2013

Topic selection

I hadn't the slightest idea on how to start a blog, choosing a topic and having interesting, engaging content to sustain readership was challenging. I had entertained the thought for months, it wasn't until a University class required me to have a blog, that I was forced to start one; whether I wanted to or not.

I started off without the slightest idea what I was doing.
The best advice I was given; write what you know. I'm a firm believer in writing or talking about what you're passionate about, or about something that you practice every day. There are a lot of mommy bloggers on the world wide web. Why? It's what they do, and what they know best.

How do you develop creative and engaging, yet informative, content?
It helps to work in the field in which you write about. I have noticed that there seems to be one particular subject, in the field in which you work, that repeats itself throughout the week. I then write about it, and post it on my blog. Perhaps my mistakes, successes, and challenges will enlighten others. It certainly helps me put things into perspective.

Experience is knowledge.
When you're struggling with blog topics, do some research, talk to more people, and get out more. I've said it before, and I will say it again, creativity comes in very odd places.

Another thing to consider is to increase the amount of books you read. It's been said, reading triggers writing creativity. I've made the correlation with my own experience. I find that I have more desire to write if I read more, and the quality of writing is greater.
So, be a book worm. Reading IS cool.

Be real, write about your experiences and add your personality to your posts. Readers will come, if you keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment