Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Substandard Eviction Notice, Homelessness is Reality

*Photo Credit: cbc.ca

Just over two weeks ago, I received an email that would stir my life as I, and my monster, knew it. After only lived in my new home for less than three months, the landlord decided to evict us because I forfeited the option to own the property – a bold move on his part, to say the least.

With a month-to-month lease agreement, the standard notice is 30 days. However, considering that my residence is now in rural Manitoba, and that purchasing a home is not an option at this time, rental properties are very few and far between – and this was a significant cause for concern.

I needed more time.

Of course, the thought of being homeless ran through my mind instantly. By homeless, I don’t mean that we would be living on the streets, rather having to live with friends or family in the interim.

While I had numerous offers by friends to take temporary residence in their home, it was not how I envisioned mine, or my son’s life, for the next year. I am independent, and I was determined to keep mine and my son’s life just as, if not more, comfortable than it is currently.

I began to think of myself as a fraud, a joke if you will. I work full time, I run a business part time, and I’m very active in the community as advocate to end homelessness, but I just couldn’t shake the feeling of not belonging when I, myself, may be homeless in less than thirty days (I know that this was no fault of my own, it’s just how I felt at the time)

My immediate, knee-jerk, reaction was to do something about it, take action. After many tears, outbursts, and silent moments, I educated myself in residential tenancy laws. However, the relationship with the current landlord was tarnished, he was unwilling to comprise – or even communicate with me – so I began my search for that needle in a haystack house, condo, or apartment in the country.

Once my new home was found, the anxiety began to ease, and the work had yet to begin. With minimal purging done from my last move, I had to, now more than ever, discard things that was of no use to me.

While sifting through piles of treasures that I once loved, it occurred to me that not everyone is as fortunate as I am. Granted, I’m swimming in more debt than money – but I am fortunate nonetheless – for having access to resources leading me to my new residence, for having friends and family that were willing to take me, and my monster, in without question, and for constantly striving to do better, to be better.

Some of Winnipeg’s homeless are forced to live in shelters, most of which only have the clothes on their backs and limited access to resources and supplies that we, more often than not, take for granted.

I didn't give much thought to my decision following my new apartment application approval; it was, once again, that knee-jerk reaction I spoke of that made me want to give back. Even though I could use the money from the sale of my clothing; for bills, new treasures, or gifts for the monster – someone out there needs it more than I do.

If you can help, wouldn't you?

Click here to my Fundraiser Events Page on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment