Thursday, May 31, 2012

Media Relations 101

Source: http://scienceofblogging.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/microphones.jpg 

I always wondered how the media got most of their stories. Perhaps I might have been more so uneducated at the time rather than ignorant; however, after learning a few new skills my understanding of the industry was like a light bulb ignited in my head.

My interest was ultimately in media relations, but I wondered, how does a good PR rep start to know the industry in order to send the stories to the right reporters? At the time, it seemed like an impossible and overwhelming task. There are so many reporters and they all have specialties, and then  there are some assignment writers that don' t target a specific industry. Getting to know them might take some time but is worth it in order to get your stories known.

I have learned a few things along the short time I have been in this industry, this is my Media Relations 101.

Research

How do you know who your target is if you don't know your target? When you first start out, you're not going to know everyone, which is why it's a good idea to read their previous work. Attending special events where the media will be attending is a good idea and by introducing yourself, you will make friends with them.

Learn what the reporter has previously written. You're not going to pitch a politics reporter about the new art exhibit, are you?

Write it down

Once you've done your research, it's a good idea to keep a running list of reporters along with phone numbers, email addresses, and perhaps even their field of expertise. I like to keep this on an easy to manage spreadsheet, and I have it on hand at all times on my tablet.

It would be in your best interest if you've personally introduced yourself to a journalist before contacting them, but it may not always be possible. You can create a separate contact list for those journalists you've met personally and made friends with, but remember to always keep your list up to date.

Follow through

When you send your release or pitch, keep track of what you send, when you sent it, and to whom you sent it to. I also like to mark down if I have to follow up them and when. In order to remain professional and dependable as a PR professional, follow these crucial steps.

The follow up may be a little nerve racking if you haven't made calls to the media before. Essentially, it is a sales call and your job is to sell them to cover your company, event, or cause.

Before making the call, I hold my phone in my hand, dial the number, and just before pressing send, I tell myself - "Just Do It". Besides, what's the worst thing that can happen? They say no. Then you know and you can just move on to the next contact.

Remember, regardless of who you work for, Public Relations professionals first and foremost have to keep their own reputation intact. Ultimately, you are the face of the corporation when it comes to the media, get to know them, make friends with them, and take initiative when you say you will. They will return the favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment