Monday, April 23, 2012

Networking starts with you



I attended my first networking event with the Canadian Public Relations Society of Manitoba. It was apparent to me that one must be in the talkative and sociable mood in order to network properly and make valuable connections in the industry.
There are some factors that influence my desire to network at any given point. Most of the time, these factors cannot be predicted, and I don't realize I have them until I arrive and then it hits me with a ton of bricks, 'I don't feel like talking today!'

I know you must be thinking to yourself, 'You don't feel like talking??' Everyone who knows me knows that I am a talker, I'll carry on a conversation with anyone at anytime. It does happen that some days, I just don't feel like it...Not often but it does happen occasionally.
So what happened to me? I am still unsure and quite frankly I can't put my finger on it. I try to think back to this past week and its events. With it being a long week of assignments, projects, and presentations, perhaps I might have been a little talked-out!

Nevertheless, my social skills were lagging due to extreme exhaustion and impatience due to the lack of sleep. It's simple, get some sleep, talk positively to yourself, and wear your power suit - whatever that may be. Feeling good before an event is the key to being successful at networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment