Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Just a little setback


Three weeks into my half marathon training program, I was injured twice, this last time is more serious than the last. I  sprained a ligament in my knee and it has resulted in a small tear in the cartilage.
It is as painful as it sounds.
It has left me immobile for the last 5 days, so I'm not sure what is more painful, the actual injury or the fact that I am left, once again, immobile.
After making a visit to my physiotherapist, she sent me home with daily stretches and knee exercises, but I have found that my motivation to lie on my carpet to do boring knee bends is not my idea of a work out. Needless to say, I haven't done them on a consistent basis; therefore, I have no one to blame but myself for this chronic pain.
On the bright side, after five days of being 'bed ridden', I have a little more mobility in my joints, but I have not yet attempted my next run for fear of further injury. My knee is periodically wrapped in a brace to hold it in place, and I use ice to reduce any swelling that may occur from walking. It has helped and I will once again hit the pavement for a slow, steady run this evening.
Question is... Should I run with or without the knee brace?

No comments:

Post a Comment