Friday, March 23, 2012

twitter, tweet, twitted!

I like technology. It’s not a secret that I am constantly glued to my laptop, blackberry, and now my tablet. Technology shows no signs of slowing down; in fact, it’s only going to get bigger and better. So instead of going against the current, we as PR professionals in training are encouraged to dive right in with no life jacket, only water wings at best.
I do have a small bone to pick; I promise I’ll keep it light. Unless you live under a rock, you might have heard about this twitter craze. After six years since development, there aren’t many that I know that are not on twitter, there’s this thing called ‘tweet chat’ which was my next journey on social media.
Once I figured out where this chat was on twitter, it confused me a little. Where does the chat start? Who chooses the subject? What if I comment on something and the subject has already been changed? Are my tweets legible?
I’m getting dizzy, I have to sit down.
I’m appalled at the disorganization of tweet chat, and I’m not sure if I’m the only one who finds tweets confusing with all the @ and # (hashtag) symbols? I still wonder... Will I ever get used to reading such posts? Is there a trick to understanding what in the world they mean?
I’m uncertain if I participated in the chat correctly or even if there was a chat when I did my contributions to the feed. Either way, my amateur-ness will shine through and hopefully I will get some advice from experts out there.
Hasn’t happened yet but the night is young.
Ideally I would appreciate a redesign; however, the odds of the twitter creators listening to my suggestion after they find out that I’m a rookie, is highly unlikely. Like my son’s martial arts instructor would say ‘adapt and overcome’. I will adapt by continuously challenging myself with this chat and overcome its obstacles as they present themselves.
Even though my contribution to the chat was short lived, I’m going to give it another shot, after all – practice makes perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment